Long before Anit Hora created the apothecary line Mullein & Sparrow, she practiced her craft in any and every spare moment found. Though she never lost her deeply rooted passion for ayurveda and aromatherapy, Anit detoured into corporate fashion in her 20s. Only after an eye opening trip to South America did Anit fully immerse herself in the teachings of herbal medicine, leaving her 9 to 5 to work at a yoga studio. "All the natural instincts about self care and holistic remedies just came back to me,” she says of her turning point. Today, Anit continues to develop and batch the full Mullein & Sparrow line herself while also practicing as a Brooklyn based holistic esthetician.
Since the Catbirdettes have been bemoaning our lackluster winter skin, we asked Anit for a DIY recipe to help us exfoliate and hydrate some of the dullness away. “Oats are amazing for helping with any skin irritation, honey is incredibly moisturizing and also antibacterial and sugar helps retain moisture and exfoliates,” Anit said of this simple remedy she generously shared with us.
- 1 tbspn oat flour
- 1 tbspn floral powder( you can use rose, lavender, chamomile in any combination- I use them all!)
- 1 tbspn honey
- 1 tspn sugar for exfoliating action
- Mix ingredients into a paste and then add a little water as needed.
- Spread mixture around face using circular motions to lift up dead skin cells and dirt.
- Wash to reveal cleaner skin with a glow!
- Can also leave this on as a mask for 10 minutes.